Tuesday, April 12, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 4: Gary Jules - Madworld

A song that makes you sad, so really I should be on day 6, but I had some dramas going on the past two days so I have had to go without. Madworld is an amazing song, composed and performed perfectly, the lyrics really touch home. I first heard the song on my Ministry of Sounds: The Chillout Session - Summer Collection 2004, I was 11/12. It is a sad song, it usually comes on while I go to sleep, and I just think about what the lyrics actually talk about, and its scary.

The film clip was directed by Michel Gondry, and it is freaking amazing, I absolutely love it. The symbolism of ignorance with the kids playing below, while he is looking down upon them with knowledge that its not all fun and games for all the kids, as much as they may think it is, they're ignorant to everyones problems, they have no idea of the problems that they're fellow peers are having, they're just caught up in having fun, as kids do.

This is a version I found a few years ago, it is a rap artist interpretation of the song, I know a lot of people aren't too impressed with rap but I really found it insightful. Its quite a literal step beyond the original song, it doesn't so much focus on the original songs point of the children's problems, but more so how the song has affected him and challenged him to question his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment